The Edmonton Oilers
The Edmonton Oilers have shown glimpses of what they can be this season and what they can’t be. They are 2–6–1 so far and we have seen a lot of potential with clear problems. They are in need of a defenceman and a starting goalie. These won’t be easy to find. With the recall of Raphael Lavoie and the loan of Philip Broberg to the Bakersfield Condors, it seems like the team is in limbo. They are looking to go on a streak of good and it won’t be easy.
This upcoming week, I believe, will be the most important week for Edmonton until Christmas. They have to do well this week or the playoffs may be firmly out of reach. In terms of rumours:
- The Oilers tried to get Jeremy Swayman from the Boston Bruins in the summer but the price was too high
- With Broberg being demoted, it’s an opportunity for him to thrive and, possibly, build up his trade value. He needs a fresh start so his name may start coming up in the trade winds
- Mackenzie Blackwood of the San Jose Sharks is a name that has popped up in Oiler trade talks. He’s been holding his own in San Jose so far
- On the Lowetide Show, Eric Lansky talked about how, if Coach Jay Woodcroft is let go, perhaps Gerard Gallant will be a decent fit in coaching. Something to keep an eye on
- Sean Monahan has gone on a roaring start with the Montreal Canadiens. He has accumulated eight points in nine games and teams heads are turning towards his direction. Frank Seravalli has said that Monahan’s name will be in demand this season and most likely close to the deadline. He also believes that Monahan will hit 20 goals before March. That is a heck of a second line centre if true
- With Adam Fox out for awhile in New York, the Rangers may start looking in different areas to help alleviate the loss
- Phil Kessel has stated that he is quite surprised no one has talked to him about a possible contract. I think it is only a matter of time until someone plucks him up
- Speaking of being plucked up, Patrick Kane has not signed yet nor has he chosen his team. Last week it seemed close. But, now I can Kane is considering all of his options so we will see what happens
Until next week!
If you’re looking for an innovative way to recognize and reward your team’s achievements. Award medals are the perfect way to recognize hard work, dedication and teamwork every season.
Photo by Fred Kfoury III/Icon Sportswire